Rector Search 2019
The Search & Discernment Team Called
With considerable prayer and conversation, the Search & Discernment Team was called by the Vestry in December 2019. The team members are:
- Paul Corbin, Chair
- Annette Brown
- Glen Cole
- Carly Baker
- Sue Dibs
- Zandy Campbell
- Lacie DeCosta
- Suresh Koshy
- Ned Welbourn
- Arinze Okpala
- Barritt Peterson
- Greg VanGeison
- Betsy Wilmerding
- Julie McAllister
The Search & Discernment Team will be responsible for fielding the candidates, interviewing and making the recommendation for a call to the Vestry. They will be guided in their work by our Search Consultant, The Rev. Dina van Klaveren.
The Transition Begins
With the retirement of The Rev. Dr. Malcolm Ellis, the Vestry has called The Rev. Anjel Scarborough as our Interim Rector to help us continue our spiritual journey as we prepare to welcome a new rector. Anjel+ is committed to developing and empowering lay ministry, improving the flow of communications, and stretching congregations to explore the fullness of the riches of Anglican spirituality and worship.
Search Consultant & Search Related Teams
The Rev. Dina van Klaveren, rector of St. Andrew’s Glenwood, has agreed to be our Search Consultant. The role of the Search Consultant is to facilitate the various teams involved in the steps of the overall search process, provide resources and answer questions which may arise during this process. She met with the Vestry on October 19, 2019 for an initial consultation. During this meeting she explained the outline of the search process and the need to develop three teams:
- Portfolio Team who will develop the Parish Portfolio (Parish Profile)
- Search Team who will review candidates, interview and make a recommendation for call to the Vestry
- Transition Team who will coordinate the farewell to our interim and welcome for our new rector
The search process involves four main steps:
- Development of a Parish Portfolio (profile)
- Interviewing candidates and making a recommendation to the Vestry for a call
- Issuing a call to the new rector, acceptance of call, and approval of the bishop
- Saying good-bye to the interim rector and welcoming the new rector
During the October 19th meeting, a rough estimate of 18 – 24 months for the completion of the search process was discussed. This only an estimate as there are many events and situations which can cause a search process to take longer.
The Vestry was tasked with forming the Search Team first, followed by the Portfolio Team and then the Transition Team.